Please also note that whilst COVID-19 restrictions have relaxed we have taken the decision to let the properties on an exclusive bedroom basis. This means that you may be sharing communal areas with other guests. If this does not suit your requirements, we recommend that you book exclusive use of the entire property. Aithbank has two bedrooms and can be booked by room or exclusively. Johnnie Notions has one bedroom, therefore all bookings will be exclusive.
If you have visited our böds previously, can we please ask you to note the changes we have made with our bods prior to making a booking. A summary of these changes are as follows:
• We have reverted our böds back to traditional bothy accommodation - providing a basic shelter and camping experience. Most of the equipment we have added over the years including crockery, cooking utensils, kettle, microwave, cooker, fridge and soft seating will no longer be provided. Please remember to plan your stay with this in mind and ensure you bring your own supplies.
• Bookings are processed online and need to be made at least 3 days prior to arrival. Unfortunately, we are no longer able to take on the day or walk-in bookings.
• Terms and Conditions have been revised.
• Please note that properties are only cleaned on a weekly basis. Basic cleaning materials are available for guests use.
• Bags of fuel are no longer available for purchase in bods.
• Access to the properties will be made via a secure key safe.
What is a böd?
In Shetland, a Böd was a building used to house fishermen and their gear during the fishing season. Today, we've borrowed the word to describe basic accommodation for those who want a simple holiday in our islands. Anyone familiar with English "camping barns" will have a good idea of what to expect.
The first camping Böds opened in l992. The Böds are all in attractive localities and each has an interesting history. They are an ideal way of seeing Shetland on a budget and you can combine some nights in a Böd with a stay in youth hostel, bed and breakfast or a tent. Böds are very basic, some in remote areas having no electricity.
Fetlar is known as the “Garden of Shetland” and Aithbank boasts a wonderful location with sea views and a beach only a few metres away.
Johnnie NotionsJohnnie Notions Böd
This böd offers cheap, self catering accommodation in a traditional building at the north-western tip of the Shetland Mainland.